The Crepitus are an unusual, terrifying, and unexpected enemy, even for the motley of hardened, insane and battle-tested mercenaries you bring into Arulco. Each mercenary and RPC in the game has a set of unique dialogue heard only when interacting with the Crepitus.
The first reaction a mercenary has to seeing a Crepitus is usually the strongest.
- IMP male Voice 2 - "That's one badass piece of sushi!"
- IMP male Voice 3 - "Jesus K. Riest, that's the biggest, grossest Goddamn slinky I ever did see.
- Kevin "Maddog" Cameron - "Nothing, I've fried bigger bugs in the junkyard. Let's cook it!"
- Gus Tarballs - "Holy horsecrap, Woodrow. You've never mentioned anything about gigantic bugs."
- Dimitri Guzzo - "I once hear of this creature called squid. It look like what I remember."
- Lt. Conrad Gillitt - "What the hell is that? Is some kind of joke? Wait. Remain calm. I will be in charge here."
- Greg "Dynamo" Duncan - "Holy Toledo, I've heard of them. But I have never seen one, 'til now."
- Ira Smythe - "Deidranna's got to be behind one of those things. Mother Nature isn't that diabolical."
- Breeham "Shank" Druz - "That's one heck of a scary looking thing!"
- Hamous - "Ohh... that a big bug! We no have dem in Metavira!"
- Biff Apscott - "Oh my God! Let's hope they are friendly."
- Doug "Gasket" Milton - "Whooee, that ugly sumbitch looks like when I had this thing where they took out most of my colon 'cuz I O.D.'d on some pumpkin seeds, and like, that's why my colon looked like, I think."
- Helmut "Grunty" Grunther - "Oh, isn't he cuddly? I wonder if they can be domesticated, probably not."
- Rudy "Lynx" Roberts - "What the hell? I'm sure it's a huge termite. How many chances you have to bag one of these."
- Tim "Gumpy" Hillman - "God that's awesome. Spielberg himself couldn't have come up with something like that. Wonder what he'd pay for some of its DNA."
- Bill "Razor" Lamont - "Yeeeha. Y'ever pull a cat inside-out by its tail? Well, right there is what she looks like when yer done. Only the cat's smaller, y'know?"
- Dr. Donna "Spider" Houston - "Oh Christ its a bug. I mean, its arthropoda, so it could be a crustacean, but I have this thing about bugs...I can't look at it. I'm sorry, I can't even look at that thing."
- Ron "Raider" Higgens - "Good lord! Talk about your jumbo shrimp!"
- Charlene "Raven" Higgens - "Are those real? God, they are! They're like something out of a B-horror movie."
- Frank "Hitman" Hennessy - "Now, what kind of a critter is that? Its the size of a freakin' Buick!"
- Ice Williams - "Check out the goon with the jaws! Man, I hope that thing stays outta my face."
- Rudolf Steiger - "Last week at the Jap's place, I thought I saw my Sushi movin' on the plate. And that strange feelin' is back again... Hey, are you seeing the same thing as me?... This... mutant... fish thing?"
- IMP Male Voice 2 - "Sushi!"
- IMP Male Voice 3 - "BFS, big friggin slinky!"
- Lt. Conrad Gillitt - "Remain calm, it just bug!"
- Ivan Dolvich - "Fearsome beast!"
- Steve "Grizzly" Bornell - "Another one of my relatives."
- Dr. Michael "MD" Dawson - "Copepods!"
- Dimitri Guzzo - "Land squid!"
- Ira Smythe - "Another of Deidranna's pets."
- Hamous - "Rotten bug, there!"
- Helmut "Grunty" Grunther - "Look, another cuddly creature!"
- Igmus "Iggy" Palkov - "Borscht!"
- Kevin "Maddog" Cameron - "Come here, bug!"
- Ron "Raider" Higgens - "Shrimp!"
- Charlene "Raven" Higgens - "Heads up, we got a pukazoid."
- Greg "Dynamo" Duncan - "Hellbug!"
- Dr. Donna "Spider" Houston - "Oh God, its another THING."
- Ice Williams - "Got a roach on patrol!"
- Rudolf Steiger - "There must be a fuckin' nest of these things somewhere."
- Ira Smythe - "These things are flippin' pains in the ass!"
- Breeham "Shank" Druz - "These bugs are driving me crazy!"
- Hamous - "Too much bugs. Crazy rotten bugs!"
- Lt. "Stogie" Horge - ham-dog, imm knee deep in it!
- Rudolf Steiger - "You'll find me hard to get... Fish dicks!"
- Monica "Buns" Sondergaard - "She squashes it! GOD that felt good!"
- Dr. Donna "Spider" Houston - "That felt GOOD."
- Barry Unger - "I enjoy killing these nightmares."
- Carlos Dasouza - "Terror be dead!"
- Hamous - "I kill de bug!"
- Lt. Conrad Gillitt - "I am good."
- Kevin "Maddog" Cameron - "Rather kill a human."
- Biff Apscott - "I turned that thing lights out!"
- Trevor Colby - "How's that for a thrasin you mongrel."
- Greg "Dynamo" Duncan - "Buzz off!"
- Ice Williams - "That roach is a goner."
- Ron "Raider" Higgens - "That shrimp's sliced and diced."
- Charlene "Raven" Higgens - "That pukazoid's worm food."
- Rudolf Steiger - "Not moving a muscle... the pussy, hah!"
Terrified of InsectsEdit
Certain mercenaries who are morbidly terrified of insects will continue to react to the presence of the Crepitus. These mercenaries also risk taking severe hits to their morale the longer they spend in the monsters' presence.
- Dr. Donna "Spider" Houston - "I think those arthropods are nearby. Look at me, my pulse is racing. I'm sweating. I have to get over this extreme fear. It's totaly irrational."
Exploring the LairEdit
The sights, sounds, smells and even the very presence of the Crepitus lair will illicit reactions from your mercs as they explore the underground caverns beneath the mines.
- Steve "Grizzly" Bornell - "Peeyew... I can't blame that on the dog... gotta be one of those huge pissants." "Come out, come out, you big pissants, wherever you are."
- Tim "Gumpy" Hillman - "I've watched enough movies to recognize the telltale signs of a mutant creature attack when I see one."
- Ice Williams - "This place looks like a roach motel. They got to be around here somewhere."
- Ron "Raider" Higgens - "Something tells me there's shrimp on the menu." "Those shrimp have been here..."
- Helmut "Grunty" Grunther - "I think those adorable little creatures were doing their business here. The armoa is very rich." "Ah, the delightful little monsters were frolicking here." "We should take pains to avoid the cuddly creatures until we have the proper equipment: a leash and muzzle. And maybe something for them to chew on."
- Greg "Dynamo" Duncan - "Those hellbugs better be sleeping."
- Charlene "Raven" Higgens - "Every time I turn around, I expect one of those pukazoids to be waiting." "Looks like those pukazoids had a party." "Ugh, maybe I should call those things Dungazoids."
- Dr. Donna "Spider" Houston - "I smell insect spore. It's so heavy, it has to be coming from those hyperthyridic arthropod things. It's making me dizzy."
- Stogie Horge - Jackpot! The spawning grounds. Gonna nip this right in the butt right now!
Killing the QueenEdit
- IMP Male Voice #3 - "YES!! I mean...just doing my job."
- IMP Female Voice # - "Yee-haw! That sure beat steppin' on it."
- Ron "Raider" Higgens - "Hasta la vista, Momma."
- Barry Unger - "YES! I mean...killing is bad, but...YES! I am hero today!"
- Hamous - "I kill bossman bug."
- Rudolf Steiger - "Maybe Greenpeace would cry murder - I fuckin' won't."
The headminers of the infested mine will personally thank you once the mine is cleared - given they survived the ordeal.
- Fred Morris - "Looks like everything's okay. I got the men to come back to work, too. Have to say, though, if I so much as suspect one of those creature things again, I'm stopping everything."
- Calvin Barkmore
- Carl Tercel
- Oswald Johnston
- Matt Duncan - "Well, thank God that's over. Mine's clear. There don't seem to be any signs of them, and most of the crew has even come back to work. Tell you what though, I hear any o' them noises again, I'm coming straight up."